Thursday 27 March 2008

1 Year Old

The Soft Bulletin is officially one year old. Fantastic. To celebrate, nothing special. Sorry. Still cash strapped. But there are plenty of things I would like to be reviewing right now, such as 'Oracular Spectacular' the MGMT record and other things. I can safely say this, the new Guillemots album is naff. I had a listen to it today and I am not really into it. It sounds like Mika. Sorry to any 'Mots fans. On a better note, 'Grounds for Divorce' by Elbow, which I know has been out a while, is genius. Such a fucking tune.
For our birthday celebrations some kind of special list should probably be created that I will regret and wish to change pretty quickly (see the cover versions post from last year!). Anyway, here is a list of what I think are my favourite songs ever. But not in any order. And no specific amount. Just records I could never get tired of. A Desert Island Discs almost. In fact, let's name it that, and I can add to it whenever, we cool? Excellent.

Smokestack Lightning - Howlin' Wolf
1970 - The Stooges
Race for the Prize - The Flaming Lips
Waiting Room - Fugazi
The King Of Carrot Flowers parts 1, 2 and 3 - Neutral Milk Hotel
Green Onions - Booker T and the MG's
There She Goes, My Beautiful World - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
The Boy With the Arab Strap - Belle and Sebastian
Nuclear War (Version 1) - Yo La Tengo
Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine
Kennedy - The Wedding Present
What Goes On - The Velvet Underground

That will do. 13 songs (all a bit Fugazi) that if they ever come on I am ecstatic. Pub, club, bedroom, party, anywhere and I am immediately happy. Many things missed off obviously. Much up for debate. But try it. It's fucking hard. The video clip is the classic footage of Fugazi doing 'Waiting Room' obviously.

The new playlist is coming soon, so that will have on it a video clip and a track. I will try and resist putting 'Age of Consent' on it again, but it'll be tough.

Currently listening to 'Sleep the Clock Around' by Belle and Sebastian. Thank you Shep. A banana milkshake of a tune.

Sam

No comments: