Sunday 8 April 2007

Primal Fucking Scream, Know What I Mean?



Primal Scream are rock and roll. I was first introduced to them properly, as opposed to hearing 'Rocks' on the radio, by my mate Shep, who had a minidisc with 'Screamadelica' on and the best tracks off 'Give Out But Don't Give Up' on and we listened to it at the school swimming gala in about year 9, which would have been 2002 I think. In the sunshine, with 'Loaded' or 'Movin' On Up' on, and it was fan-fucking-tastic. I have since become slightly obsessed. I think most music fans get obsessed about a few bands in their lifetime, for me it was Primal Scream and The Cooper Temple Clause when I was young and easily influenced, and I would, and still do, buy anything they do regardless of how good it is, and would also see them live at any opportunity. I have probably moved on slightly with my tastes, but my love for both these bands remains strong. Anyway, that was a tangent. I own every album Primal have every released, including their debut 'Sonic Flower Groove', which doesn't contain the track included on the famous C86 tape given away with NME in the 80's, 'Velocity Girl', which is probably why it didn't too well, and the self titled follow up 'Primal Scream' which includes 'I'm Losing More than I'll Ever Have' which got remixed by Andy Weatherall to become their breakthrough acid-house classic 'Loaded' which formed the direction for the 'Screamadelica' record. I also own 'Ivy Ivy Ivy' on 12" single, which is the lead off track from the second LP.
I know exactly the moment that I fell in love with Primal Scream. It wasn't on that sunny day by the pool, but it was infact when I went out and bought 'Screamadelica' after that day and put it on in my room, and the exact moment I fell in love with them is when the bass kicks in on track 2, their acid house cover of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators 'Slip Inside This House'. Genius. And every record has sounded different, they all have different vibes. 'Sonic Flower Groove' sounds like the Stone Roses, two years before them, 'Primal Scream' is garage rock, 'Screamadelica' is an acid house record, 'Give Out...' is a soul and blues record, 'Vanishing Point' is a trip-hop record, 'Echo Dek' is a dub version of 'Vanishing Point, 'XTRMNTR' is the most brutal electroclash punk album ever made, 'Evil Heat' is a kinda of disco version of 'XTRMNTR', and I suppose their latest, 'Riot City Blues', is the closest they have come to a repeat of a sound, as it is a daft version of a cross between the self-titled and 'Give Out...'. I don't think any other and has changed quite so much in the course of their career. The Scream are open to anything. If it sounds good, they'll do it. No one has that kind of confidence, or dare I say it, ability, anymore.
And live they are so rock and roll. So many bands go through a processed 'performance' at gigs. With the Scream, you have absolutely no idea what is going to happen. The second time I saw them, they were the loudest thing I have ever heard. Mani's bass amp blew up, so he proceeded to lob his bass around into things, causing catostrophic noise mid-song, then fucked off stage. It then took a chant of 'Mani! Mani! Mani!' led by Bobby G himself to get the man back on stage. Mani then came on, swore at the crowd lots and started to play again. His bass then cut out again. He was fucked off, so off he went. The band carried on, but then Mani wouldn't come out for an encore, so our encore was just a fucked Bobby Gillespie singing a ballad with no instruments, and not very much tune. Fucking brilliant. The gig was a blinder before the bass incident, which luckily for us punters happened quite late on. The XTRMNTR stuff was blistering that night. 'Shoot Speed/Kill Light' was amazing, with the lights tripping the audience out. Can you imagine Razorlight or Bloc Party ever doing anything like that night? No. So, this is a hearty tribute to the legend that is the rock and roll collective of Primal Fucking Scream, know what I mean?

Currently listening to 'Give Out But Don't Give Up' by Primal Scream

Sam