Monday 28 July 2008

Faust - Mamie is Blue



I don't think I have ever done a blog about a single track, but I really think I need to for this. When having a massive Faust listening session recently, I played the brilliant 'So Far' album and had something of a Faustian epiphany over the track 'Mamie is Blue' It's not like it's my favourite song ever, fuck it's not even my favourite Faust song (that's 'Jennifer' for anyone who cares), but it's just so fucking good. It sounds like something made by free-thinking robots in a rebel Utopia in 3015. That sound at the start that just jolts inside your head, followed by that circular, repetitive overloaded organ line completely blows me away. Music still hasn't really caught up. The only thing I can slightly compare it to is 'Frankie Teardrop' by Suicide, which sounds like a bullet ripping through your skull, whilst Faust sounds like 'Frankie Teardrop' on a horrifically bad acid trip. Sheer genius.

This is some weird German documentary about Faust in the 70's, but it's got clips of them jamming and stuff. Pretty cool.

Sonic Sam

No comments: